Flickerstrip performance

superg

Flickerstrip performance

Postby superg » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:41 pm

I am planning to change Flickerstrip pattern (all leds) around 30 times per second. Does Flickerstrip support changing all leds 30 times or more per second? Has anyone benchmarked how quick changing colors is? How about latency, how long does it take for color to change? Tried using LIFX Z lightstrip first for my project but it is way too slow.

superg

Lightstrip performance

Postby superg » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:45 pm

Planning to use Flickerstrip to my project that requires very fast updates. What is the maximum performance for Flickerstrip? Can I update all leds to different color 30 times per second?

neotarlax

Re: Flickerstrip performance

Postby neotarlax » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:04 pm

Hi,

Sorry for the wait,
Flickerstrip handle fast led changes, idk the latency of the led.

You can have high frame per second but changing the whole pattern is a bad idea, either you make a big pattern or you make a Python code to handle your project (Julianh2o made a tutorial here: https://hohmbody.com/flickerstrip-binary-clock/)

Hope I helped a little!

superg

Postby superg » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:16 pm

Why is it bad idea changing whole pattern? That is exactly what I am planning to do :?

If I understood correctly Flickerstrip is powered by WS2812 led controller and that should be very fast. On this discussion https://github.com/FastLED/FastLED/issues/168 it is mentioned that "frame of 128 leds will take 3.84ms to write". If I have 4 meter Flickerstrip that has 4 x 30 = 120 leds, updating that 30 times per second should be very much possible. Or is there something I have missed, like wifi performance?

julianh2o

Postby julianh2o » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:23 pm

Flickerstrip should be able to handle 30fps fairly well. You'll probably want to preload the pattern though and have it play back at 30 fps.

You might have a hard time getting 30fps while trying to actively send new patterns to your strip. Full streaming of pixel data is not supported right now which means that you have to transmit them 1-5 frames at a time over HTTP.

superg

Postby superg » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:18 am

Sounds like this is a software limitation then. But handling 30 HTTP requests per second does not sound like a lot to me. My project absolutely needs pixel data streaming with minimal latency. The only other addressable wifi lightstrip that I know is LIFX Z and it supports around 120 updates per second, but with that I can only update one led/zone per update. If Flickerstrip did support real-time updates it would be perfect for my project. :) Is there any schedule for supporting real-time updates as it is not supported "right now"? ;)

julianh2o

Postby julianh2o » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:00 pm

No active plans for that feature right now, unfortunately. I think that 30 HTTP requests/second would be a lot for this little chip especially with the pixel driver code running. Streaming would probably work better.

superg

Postby superg » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:03 am

Implemented my project with LIFX Z strip that has limited support for realtime updates. It looks like like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c96eT20lQ8A

Would really like to support Flickerstrip as well if it gets support for realtime updates.

Return to “General Discussion”